Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Day in Ely - 19/5/11

(Had no internet access......)

Yes, Ely is a lovely baby city and of course the Cathedral magnificent but more of that later.

 circuitous route) to meet Sarah & Len!! However @ least I knew how to find it again!



My landlady for the night met me as arranged to take my bags out to where I was over-nighting, & dropped me at the Cathedral, but no chance to look around as by that time I needed to find my way back to the station (we had come a very circuituous route).

Sarah was reluctant to walk back, & did not want to pay to rubber-neck in the Cathedral, but we had some lunch there, & then a bit of a wander around the market etc.

Then, the real Pilgrimage began!

I had discovered that there was Evensong @ 5.30, so walked back again after walking them to the station - my blister was not happy! - & to my surprise & utter delight it was a sung service!

Sat up in the Qwire & loved every minute of it - even if I couldn’t sing the words of the closing hymn with them ‘cos I couldn’t remember more than the 1st line!! What a memorable experience.


                                                                       Looking upwards

However, I was reluctant to stop afterwards & get my camera out as I assumed, rightly, that they were about to lock up for the night - hopefully something will come out from my mobile & will put up later if worth it. But my brother/sister-in-law already have some great photos from their visit last year so if all else fails I‘ll ‘borrow‘ some on return for my collection of memories!!!!

Difficulty finding a taxi (there‘s a story in that too!), but eventually got out to Coveny to the Old School B&B & the 5 mad terriers!!!! Was very cold & tired by the time Doris had sat down wanting to have a chat & a cuppa with me!!! Didn’t really need that, but…..! She had been to Canberra & then we got on to NZ & it turned out her favourite place was Lake Wanaka so of course there was much to talk about - I think she would have been pleased if I had had the energy to talk far in to the night!!

Will add photos when not exhausted!

No comments:

Post a Comment