Sunday, May 22, 2011

Onwards & Upwards - so to speak! 20/5/11

Got up early & walked literally the length & breadtth of Coveny before breakfast - talked to Doris’ horses also!


                                                                     Fen country
Later D took me to the station, & a very crowded train up to Berwick-upon-Tweed. Paul from The Cat Inn collected my luggage for me, which enabled me to look around Berwick.

Loved walking on the Elizabethan Wall (not scary like the one @ York! Altho‘ there was nothing to protect from drop, there was a bit of leeway). A guy from Liverpool wanted to walk it with me, but I finally got rid of him by going off to investigate the Cromwellian Church. Fascinating as I had no idea the Protestants had built such an edifice.



Continued with the Wall walk afterwards, then down in to the town. Found I had just missed a bus out, & not another until 7.15 so opted to completely blow the budget with a taxi out! And with no intention of having a meal, found that they had scampi on the menu so couldn’t resist!

Now with no internet, I am writing this (tried last night but fell asleep as usual) as I wait in the hope that the bus will stop for me here & take me to Lindisfarne……….!

Ah, but after that, the wimmin here got worried, so one of them decided to take me “down road ter garige” & I waited near the turn-off to the Holy Isle.

It was cold & very windy, but it hadn’t deterred hundreds of other day-trippers *sigh*!!!!

But it really was fantastic,& I loved every minute of it.

There was a funeral on in the Parish Church, so decided to go out to Lindisfarne Castle first.




From the exterior of the kilns
                     Lindisfarne Castle from the Memorial Garden

 Didn’t actually go in to the Castle - too expensive for both that & the Priory & I was quite clear on my priority - but walked out to Castle Point & also looked in to the lime kilns & memorial garden to ????? A pretty long walk with all my little diversions by the time I got back to the Priory. Could be considered a smaller version of Tintern Abbey, but considering it was built for precisely 8 monks, it was pretty damn big! Henry VIII took some of the stone from the Priory for the Castle apparently.



                                      From the Service Wing

Managed not to miss the 1 & only bus back & was relieved to put my feet up, & watch the birds fly in under the eaves to feed their youngsters. A worthy rest after an enormously satisfying & pleasingly wind-swept day.

Photos to come! Am having terrible trouble with photos, sometimes they go up just fine, but then no way!! grrrr Anyway far too manyfrom which to choose!

No comments:

Post a Comment