Monday, May 30, 2011

Catching up!

Sunday:

Have now added some photos to yesterday's post.

Had a “domesticated” morning making myself a belt for my poncho by plaiting garden twine *grin* not at all sure it would work for very long, but in the end, Howard kindly gave me the belt he had been lending me.

My walk for this day involved walking down the Strond Road along the coast to the end, then taking the “easy” path to Rodel!
En route, passed the ruin of the cottage where the Paisley sisters first wove Harris Tweed.

By this time - of course - the rain started in earnest, & the forecast Force 7 gale came in to play also! But later the sun did come out to stay.

I had spotted my goal of St Clement’s Church in the distance already,

 & eventually found the path (after a few false starts) & started down the hill, then up a much bigger hill!




The problem for me is that as I can’t see my feet, so, seeing the path beneath them is pretty major!!

However, this time it wasn’t quite as bad as the broad path was only a stream or bog in places!

So it was up & over & through, & then suddenly Rodel was just down there with a very good view of St Clement’s pretty much all the time.




It is a really fascinating old church where local chieftans are buried - their prominence down through the ages is obvious by the setting.


            Looking towards East end



            The West end



North to South orientation



Detail of 1st century carving on tomb


Whilst doing an extensive walk around I suddenly realised I was looking at a wild goose on the next rise!



Looking @ the SE corner

Before leaving the area I looked back at the way I'd come

Then on down to Rodel harbour


the back of the hotel!
 
I capped the day off with a slap-up dinner @ the Rodel Hotel - it being the ONLY place that is open on a Sunday!!
Howard brought Sallie over to share a drink (them not me!) when he came to pick me up which was really excellent, & I enjoyed chatting with them very much.

Monday: The day was fine in Leverburgh when I left. The boys went out to St Kilda *sigh* & I had so nearly changed to stay on that extra day! Oh well. Never mind.

I arrived in Berneray & it was bloody hailing & blowing a gale as I got off the ferry! Unbelievable - you should have heard the bus driver on the subject!

Found the B&B OK @ the end of the road & arranged for the lass driving the bus to pick me up @ the same time tomorrow to head down to Eriskay.

Had a ‘be kind to Anna’ day, & only went for a short walk to the Heritage Centre which looked as tho’ it had been shut for many a year, & also to the old graveyard with a ruined chapel (it had nothing like the feel of the Chapel on Toe Head Pennisular).

Then I found a track (so it started to rain!) that I thought would lead to the sea, & indeed it did. A superb beach with the tide coming in, & found a convenient hump to sit on to contemplate. Mmmmm - lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment