Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Tuesday's travels

The bus (not a 12 seater van) duly picked me for the trip down through South Uist to Eriskay to get the ferry to Barra. This photo taken just for Fred!

Just a wee ferry to cross the Sound of Barra
This is Eriskay though for the life of me I can't remember the "Eriskay Love Lilt"


Whilst waiting to board the ferry, a lovely woman asked if I would like to put my bag in their car for the crossing so I wouldn't have to bother with it - which was a great offer (it's not big, but it is heavy as is my back pack) & we got chatting.

When we got to Barra she & her husband so very kindly offered to take me to my B&B down on the West Coast - even though they were staying in the North East. That was so wonderful as I don't think I would have found it, let alone made it up the road to Croit Na h-Aibhne where I am staying for a few nights with said baggage. Blessings on them - I didn't thank them enough.

It's a lovely spacious place, & I have to say my bedroom is bigger than the whole of my flat & then some!! Mind you, it must be the one place that I didn't check it had a walk-in shower, so may end up very dirty & smelly by the time I leave, as I don't think I can manage the deep luxurious bath!

From the breakfast room guests can see the Atlantic waves crashing across the fields & machair. Given a delicious oatcake with cheese & a smidgin of jam (yummmy) & some ginger fruit cake which I normally would not eat, but was delicious.

Amazingly it was still fine as I walked down to see some of the beaches & try to catch photos of waves breaking as usual without much success as I still can't remember how to set my camera speed!




very pretty lttle flowers!

Walked around to the very expensive Isle of Barra Hotel (you can find it's location easily on Google Earth & I am staying in Borve [Borgh] might try & get lunch there b4 I leave!) and really loved  the beaches en route.
        Just couldn't work out how to get down to the dogs that I could hear playing on this beach!

By evening the wind & rain had come in fiercely & it has kept up all night & will be so, it seems, for the next few days whilst I'm here! I'll still try to get down to Vatersay either today or tomorrow but will take advice on which might be the better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment