Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The 1st day of Summer - ha! ha!

                         Think this says it all really!!

It would seem the 1st day of winter in Canberra is a good deal warmer, drier & all round good in comparison *grin* but not nearly so fascinating!

Took a bit of a look @ Castlebay 1st up (they had to hold the school bus for me - most embarassing!! So ran out boot laces dangerously undone etc. I had been told 8.50 but it was actually 8.38!! Can U imagine that in CNB???). I started with St Mary of the Sea - Barra is still Catholic as it was untouched by the Reformation. Apparently this Church & Father John Paul to whom I said a brief hello feature in TV Series called Island Parish as do many of the locals.





Then took a funny old bus to Vatersay after a pretty unsucessful bit of shopping!!

      


             &
                                                            

I decided to stay on the bus as have no mobile coverage & no-one knew where I was headed (also had a bit of an unhappy gut). Perhaps I'll walk in those parts tomorrow if it has cleared up at all. So, came back & had a vague look @ the Heritage Centre, but didn't try to investigate the "other"? Church.


Not sure whether I will spend the pounds on going out to Kisimul Castle even IF the boat is running tomorrow!


BTW, keep meaning to say re Hebridean weather the things that I have seen,  i.e. dustbins if not lain flat on ground are usually tied firmly with rope or fenced in tightly; birds almost fly backwards or @ the very least seem to stay put in 1 place when flying! And you know too it's windy, wet & raining when the sheep are huddled up leaning in to the house wall! I have had it said to me: "you know when the wind drops, because everyone falls over!!!!"

1 comment: