Friday, June 24, 2011

Down, but not out!!!!

Today, I had to admit defeat!!!!

Having managed a very steep long walk on a really bad rocky road up, down, up again, & then more up, then an incredibly difficult steep, and I do mean really steep down hill to get from Itilleq into Igaliko, all the while ‘singing’ a refrain that went something along the lines of: “If M……. can do it, so can I!!!!”

Mind you, I had hurt my back getting out of the boat as I had no idea it was such a huge step down to the pontoon, & did it with the wrong foot, & then someone shoved my other foot halfway up my spine to get it over. OUCH!!!

The 1st thing I did when I got to Igaliko, was to go in to the “hotel” & say: “I have a voucher for lunch, but can I trade it for a ride back to the boat later?”

Thankfully my request was granted, so I was able to look around at the ruins of Gardar - otherwise I would have had to start walking straight away in order to get the boat!!!!
The cloud was very low when we went over, so couldn’t see the ‘tops’, but it was really a grand sight as it gradually lifted to reveal a really splendid vista of mountains & fjord with it’s own spectacular iceberg!



Oh yes, the reason for going.........


 
Given that my cold has worsened, with my chest aching, I think I really did very well! And, given that my ears are hurting, I cancelled the helicopter flight tomorrow also. If it had been a trip that I really, really wanted to do, such as up & over the glacier, or to Nanortalik with the possibility of polar bears, I probably would have done it, but not to go to Qaqortoq with a huge long walk from the helipad in to a town I don’t particularly want to go to, I prefer to loose 100DKK for a possible rest day!

That being said, I want an earlier night tonight also! Heaven knows if I’ll get any photos up, or whether I will add them at a later date, we’ll see!

Now I’ve got all the money back in cash as he couldn’t refund my Visa card, but some of it will come in useful in Copenhagen.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, land from clouds..
    & ice sculpture...
    turfed houses growing like Long-Houses growing from ground...
    & Stonehenge' home ...

    ReplyDelete