Sunday, June 26, 2011

Reykjavik 2

Well, I have to say that I'm incredibly disappointed with Reykjavik (there had to be somewhere I guess). Did a very boring tour of the city this afternoon! Bit like showing someone Canberra forgetting to mention Parliament House & the National Library etc. & instead a 5min stop @ St. John's, a wave @ St Christopher's, a drive past those boring apartments in Belconnen, & a bit of the lake!  Perhaps U get the picture?

We did go up to the Perlan, but the Saga Museum was not given a mention - tho' I knew it was there! It was suggested we go up to the 4th floor to look @ the view, & have a coffee (this for someone who had no Icelandic Krone!), but there was actually barely enough time to find the loo!!!
A longer time was spent (by some) looking at the people on the beach in the drizzle - it being 11 degrees. Quite mad!!!!

Actually we started with the best place which was
Hallgrim's (Dom) Church, interesting architecture & wonderful acoustic - a young man was "practicing" the huge organ, but I could find no info on it given the time limit (& given that I had to say hello to the statue of Leif Eriksson in front of the cathederal! Do Lutherans have cathederals, or are they all just churches????


I must say I liked the internal simplicity


We also had a quick trot around the sculpture garden, Einar Jónsson' most famous sculpture we were told:

but I'm ashamed to say I have forgotten what it was called.

Had to ask as I left the bus what this interesting building is, & inevitably it is a church, but I don't know which or where!


I sure hope they do better on tomorrow's tour - these 2 were not one's I organised!

Now will try to add a couple of pics to yesterday's blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment