Saturday, June 18, 2011

1st instalment of details, but back in Tórshavn - Friday

Well, I guess on the Wow factor scale, (Tuesday 14th) today’s big walk would rate a 10!!! Absolutely superb! There are not the words in my vocabulary to describe it!!

It was extremely hard for me. Those that had the right walking poles were able to get up & down the steep parts a great deal more easily than me - they also do not carry my age, weight & infirmities!!!


This big - fantastic - walk started with a hard pull up this hill! This was the "EASY" bit!

BUT, there was a reward up the top, in the shape of .......... yes, YOU know......



Whilst I did not get the whole way to the lighthouse, given the route, I would not have expected to have got nearly as far as I did. But my capacity to cope with being downright scared has it's limitations!! Also I knew I had to be able to have enough energy to get back again!

But, as usual it seems, to go back to the begining of this sector.

The trip out here to Mykines was eventful, & I was glad I was with the other two couples, as we had the problem that the helicopter schedule was different as it was a public holiday, which Greengate had forgotten to take account of & consequently, when we got to the airport, to find the bus had long gone, so it ended up with getting taxis.

The helicopter .........














dropped a woman off @ her farm en-route







& the boat ride were exhilarating - even if the weather could have been rather better - raining & cold on the boat,


but you never knew what was just around the corner! ('scuse the rain on lens!)











given this was on the "ferry" (read small boat) - not a bad shot, but will get another go on Saturday I think!)



The gulls kept up well with the speeding boat, but my shutter speed could not keep up with them!
Getting up from the harbour was never going to be easy - given that this was only the 1st 'stage'!

The “guest house” is certainly basic - if not quite primitive by South American standards (that for my daughter’s comparison!) - & we're not that impressed with having to share the tiny combined toilet & bathroom - such as it is - but really it was expected, but still uncomfortable as one can only just find room to stand & dry oneself etc..

The blue house is the one we stayed in
I was really worried, 'cos, to get up to the bedrooms was a bit like climbing a ladder, & my room was on the other side of the ‘hole’ to the bathroom, which was scary in the night as I was only inches away from what would be a very nasty fall. But I managed not to come a cropper last night, & hopefully the same tonight before we are helicopter-ed out in the morning.

Am sitting writing this on a rock - not that I can see what I’m doing at all, & it won’t get posted for some days, but hopefully, I will recover some energy, if not pain relief. I couldn’t bear to sit in my tiny little box whilst although the sun has given up for the day it is not yet too cold or wet, so have found myself this convenient rock!!!

BTW, this island has a population of 10, most of whom are part of 1 family!

Anyway, back to the walk...... this was the next section by which time the others were so far ahead, that's Connie
j-u-s-t ahead!














Then it was down a VERY steep rocky path





Lots of distractions........:












and rewards...........














Through to the 'other' side:


But, I could go no further, as it was straight down a literally slippery slope to the bridge between the islands. So,  contented myself with taking photos on the slow walk back.









Have U ever seen a tri-coloured sheep?






and a friend stayed just long enough to greet my return





















But "To the The Lighthouse" - NOT







Later Went to look at the bird cliffs near the harbour & the other side of it,


then saw a ship coming in


that did indeed anchor off-shore, & watched the 1st zodiac coming in, then 2, then 3. Yikes!



The Vikings are invading again! No not Vikings, “tourists” from the M/V Plancius (which was one of the trips I looked at, & it is on it’s way to Spitsbergen *sigh*). BUT, they only get 2 hours ashore here, so I feel I’ve done very well.

[That was all written whilst still fresh, but this is later now that I am back (safely) in the hotel in Tórshavn & adding photos!]



No comments:

Post a Comment