Sunday, June 5, 2011

From Barra to Mull

There is just SOOOooooo much to catch up on - but it’s hard to stay awake each night.

Think I last wrote from Barra.

It was like arriving in a completely different country after a long sea voyage!!

When leaving Barra, of course, the day dawned clear and it was a beautiful, sunny sail with the sea like the proverbial mill pond!


                  And so, a complete change of direction & focus!
It was accompanied by sheep from the croft where I had stayed, & a young man to whom I had said good morning to at about 6am! It turned out that he was trying to get to Oban, but had to reverse his van on to the ferry, but drive off at Lochboisdale in the hope of getting back on board. He made it - just! So I cheered him back aboard, & I think he was quite touched or perhaps just amused, but we had spent some time talking - once I got the hang of his accent.

I found it fascinating seeing Skye from a completely different viewpoint!









& Ben Nevis


Arrival in Oban was somewhat fraught, as not only was it incredibly hot & altho’ the purser had told me I could leave my luggage at the terminal, they told me I would have to leave it at the station, the cost of that was £4 for 24hrs. with no reduction for ¾ hour only that I needed!! Grrrrr!! Had to do it which left me very little time to do what I needed, then totally forgot to go to the bank which was a bit drastic!

So what with that, the heat (!!!!), & then have to make a mad dash to get back for the ferry to Mull, I felt somewhat stressed. The only reason I made it was that the ferry was late getting in!!


Managed to get the bus (with the assistance of a lady who’s golden retriever I had admired!), & as I said, the drive from Craignure down to Fionnphort felt like I was in a different country & certainly climate.




Finally got to meet the chocolate Labrador, Megan, & her black pup, Lainie, the only one of her litter that they kept who reminded me so much of Tika! Mind you, Lainie at 8 months was considerably better behaved, & Meg a very large & totally gorgeous girl who was not the slightest bit interested in me, tho’ she tolerated my admiration whilst I played with Lainie!!


The following day was bright and clear, & the sun shining again! What a pleasant change as I was collected for my wildlife tour. It turned out there was only one other couple so that was really excellent.


Bryan was a brilliant guide, & really knew his stuff, & all the best spots. Please see:



http://begbits.blogspot.com/2011/06/four-days-in-june.html

and Saturday’s entry was the one I did.

I too, got some good photos, & even managed to SEE the otter, but you’ll have to wait to see those - as I will not be getting photos up to date tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment