Thursday, July 14, 2011

Super expedition!

The Rockies are truly spectacular - awesome in the real sense of the word. I love them.

Today an early start for a 10hr round trip to Lake Louise and the Columbia Icefield. In fact, almost to Jasper my next destination! So it would have made more sense etc. etc. …….. just as it would have been better to have swapped days for the 2 trips, as today dawned rainy & cool-ish.

But it was wonderful! Sure it rained, & very heavily at times, but we were really lucky with it lifting most times when it counted!








Given that we “saw” 3 black bears, many glaciers, lakes & rivers even an avalanche, & of course mountains, I wasn’t worried that the cloud was down @ Lake Louise (there are any amount of photos around & on the web to show it off) and there were far too many people there! I think anyway that I preferred Lake Peyto with the glacier feeding it,


Lake Peyto


& Lake Bow with a big storm brewing on the return journey!





We had lunch beside the Saskatchewan river which was a very pleasant interlude, before getting to the main destination of the glacier & ice field.




The glacier





&, this little lake only came in to being in 1940 - almost in my lifetime!




& we really did get to walk on it - after going down & up in the extraordinary vehicles that they use to drive on it,





and (need I say), it was a truly once in a lifetime experience. Really terrific - despite all the people!


This is a late addition/edition as I can't remember which phots were up here, & there might as well be 1 of me!!!!

Our final stop was lake Bow which feeds the river that runs through Banff.


No comments:

Post a Comment