Saturday, July 9, 2011

Testing my Stamina!

OMG this section is really testing my internal fortitude! Now I know I'm crazy to try to be independent & do it on the cheap!

First of all I cannot for the life of me understand how my sisters could have lived in Toronto for so long - it's ghastly! Mind you, I am somewhat warped in my judgement due not only to lack of sleep (I still seem to be on European time), but the heat which is always worse when trapped in amongst tall buildings. I can hardly wait to get to Banff!

Got an awful cabbie from Union Station who put the meter on when it was quite obvious we could not pull out (I wasn't game to try the subway with luggage in the rush hour with no clue as to where I was going)! Think he went unecessarily further east than he needed, then went past the street, waited to do a
U-ie, back 2 blocks & around & then said he didn't know how the numbers ran to which I said: "Well if I can see that given that building on the corner had 70 writ large on it, & I was wanting 68, presumably it was next door!!!!!" He then didn't want to give me change from a $20 - blow tipping after that lot!!

Turns out where I'm staying does not provide breakfast - bummer I thought it did - but it is in the gay area unbeknowest to me when I booked, so that feels a trifle more comfortable, but unfortunately in an effort to economise I had booked a basement room! After the rabbit warren of the hostel in Quebec, & now this, I am not really happy, & I want some fresh air!

Set out @ 6am to get to the Greyhound bus for Niagra Falls (so that I could brave the subway whilst it was not too busy) & also as  there were no reserved seats on the bus & it was on 1st come 1st served basis! Found I was meant to have printed a ticket @ home, & I thought I had to exchange what I had been sent for a ticket. I explained that it would be a little hard to go home & do it @ this point!

Then the "fun" really started!!

Put on 1 bus, but because it was overloaded with people for Buffalo was told I would have to get another, which finally left 40 minutes late @ 9.50, then there was a big contretemps @ a pick-up point as there were 11 wanting to get on & only 6 seats!!

Then we got caught in a massive traffic snarl on a bridge which took 3/4 of an hour to cross, by which time I was dearly wishing I had paid the extra to continue travelling by rail! I can't  even say I will never travel with Greyhound again, as I have to later!

The shuttle to get to the Falls was supposed to take between 3 - 8 mins, & they told me I would get dropped off @ the hotel!! Ha bloody ha!!!

I kid U not, I was still on that uncomfortable contraption 2 HOURS later!

Must have gone past some places 3 if not 4 times! Then had to walk what I was told was a 1/4 of a block but since I had to cross 2 intersections it obviously was not. However, I made it! So got here @ 2.45!!

Then walked back down the hill to see the Falls properly - except inevitably there were a million others doing so too!

Of course they are impressive (where does all that water come from & go to I wonder), but how can I post a more unusual photo?



it's impossible!

Went on the Maid of the Mist boat (which is in the middle of the above) to get cooled by the spray as much as anything - it had been a long slog to get to it! We were packed on like sardines, & I was a trifle worried how my camera would survive given that it is playing up already. But, ................................!!



~~~~~~~

Have to change to the hostel for tonight's stay - it can't be worse, but it is nearer to the bus terminal for the return to the big smoke. Hopefully then, I will get to the 'Bach Garden', but given that I'll have the back pack ('cos I ain't going back to the lodgings then back downtown), not sure whether I'll fulfill that purpose of being in Toronto with as much enjoyment as I envisioned!

No comments:

Post a Comment