Friday, July 1, 2011

Episode 2

Have been procrastinating about catching up with this!

Cities just exhaust me, & whilst it is interesting to experience them, there are far too many tourists, road works & the like!! 

Really wasted my money buying the cOPENhagen card, as I only used it for a canal cruise, which proved disappointing as I really wanted to know all the buildings & points of interest to follow up etc. but could not hear more than 1 word in a 1,000 of the guide!

Perhaps I'm just a bit jaded as well as tired!

Got really concerned yesterday as there was so much screaming going on, then worried when I "saw" people running on the roof! Doubting my sanity, I finally worked it out after taking a photo this morning! A 'horror' of a ride in the Tivoli fun park!!!!

Now, I have not forgotten that I haven't filled U in with the 2 main trips that I chose to do in Iceland. But, the photos are going to need a great deal of weeding out - as a boat bouncing around in a choppy sea, I find, makes it difficult to keep them straight etc.

With Vestmannaeyjar (Westman Islands) it is particularly difficult to choose representative photos also! This tour was the highlight for me, & probably the one I was most looking foward to - even if there were no puffins; but I did see some the next day though!

The landscape that I saw in Iceland in general was just so extraordinary & fascinating,


& particularly so on these islands, as some of the volcanic activity is so recent, not that I got any photos of the newest island to be formed
Look it up! http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1267

But the latest eruption, at the begining of which they were able to evacuate over 5,000 people, was from this one

At the eruption in 1973 no lives were lost even though 400 of 1200 houses on the largest island Heimaey where destroyed, buried under lava.

the crater of which I walked up & down - which is why I'm putting so much emphasis on it, 'cos it was incredibly hard!











Loose lava is very, very difficult to walk on!



I don't think I could have gone & looked & where the lava came down to if anyone had been killed



As an antidote to all this, I walked back up the hill (a long hot slog) to have a look at the church, which is the 3rd oldest in Iceland



(BTW, the reason U R getting all this is that the music directly below me is getting louder & louder the later it gets! Heaven knows how it might be tomorrow night - Saturday - & I have an early flight! Maybe a budget hotel is not such a good idea *sigh*!! It's just on midnight.)

This guy was in the grounds when I arrived, & still there as I left the Church!



The ferry which had been 40 minutes late sailing in the morning was 30 mins late in returning, so it made the light pretty good!





Oh, & speaking of light, it isn't!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment